Superintendent Job description (updated 9/1/17)
How to apply:
www.rainierasphalt.com/careers (attach a resume in the final field)
Salary range: $60,000 – $80,000, depending on experience
Mark Machinski, General Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Summary of Responsibilities
The Superintendent position exists between the Project Manager and the Crew Foreman. While the Project Manager’s role is primarily to manage the client, the Superintendent’s role is to manage the Foremen and Crew. Desired outcomes include:
- To oversee and improve efficiency, performance, profitability, quality, morale and image to the public among the crews and to improve communication between the crew and Project Management
- To assist the Project Manager and allow the company to more efficiently serve more customers
- Improve field staff training, recruiting and retention
The Superintendent works with the crews to reduce the amount of punchlist and warranty work and improve the overall quality of the staff through recruitment, training, coaching and auditing in the field. Specific duties include:
- Lead quality portion of monthly crew meetings
- Perform jobsite inspections during and post production
- Review monthly fuel audits to ensure crews are entering mileages properly ,etc.
- Oversee truck cleanliness and preparedness for each day’s work
- Update vendor binder as needed and restock trucks
- Ensure crews are taking the most efficient routes, using proper plant and disposal sites, work with Project Manager and make sure crews have proper instructions (on work orders, etc.)
- Monitoring asphalt sealer application/dilution logs.
- Work with Project Managers and mechanic to ensure trucks, tools and equipment are working properly.
The Superintendent will work to promote the “Rainier” culture throughout the ranks and improve the overall quality of work and company image, both internally and to the general public. He/she will also perform the orientation/training of new employees.
- Conduct on-site training/coaching of new and experienced employees to make sure we’re using proper means/methods to promote efficient and quality finished products
- Accompany new-hires on a “Driver’s Road Test Examination” to see if they are competent. CDL and non-CDL.
- Ensure staff are trained with CPR/First-Aid cards (in conjunction with Safety Officer)
- Ensure adequate staff have current flagger certification (in conjunction with Safety Officer)
- Recruit talent through various events, word of mouth and participate in interviews
- Work with existing staff (especially in offseason) to obtain their CDL
The Superintendent will undertake efforts to improve longevity, performance and efficiency of equipment by keeping an eye in the field for maintenance needs and potential (needed) asset purchases and/or dispositions. Specific duties will include:
- Monitoring the morning pre-trip inspections and procedures and more extensive examinations that will happen weekly/monthly to check lights, blinkers, wipers, trailer connections, brakes, cleanliness, etc.
- Conduct inspections and employee interviews while on site to see of any needs. Work as liaison with Project Managers and submit maintenance request forms (or coach employees) as necessary.
Project Manager Assist Functions
The Superintendent will assist the Project Managers in day-to-day task as directed, including:
- Attend weekly Production Meetings
- Overseeing punchlist completions
- Conduct annual employee interviews/check in (in conjunction with Project Managers
- Assisting in discipline as needed
This position has a wage range of $60,000-$80,000/hour depending on experience.
We offer comprehensive benefits including Profit Sharing, Healthcare, Dental, Retirement, Paid Time Off (PTO), Dependent Care Flexible Spending Arrangement (FSA) and Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
The applicant must submit to a background check, drug test, E-Verify and driving record check.